Travel to HeidelbergWelcome to Heidelberg, the charming university town situated in the picturesque Neckar River Valley.
We hope you will find the following information helpful in planning your trip to Heidelberg and to the conference events. All costs shown are in euro (€), and are subject to change without notice. Click here to convert any amount to another currency.
Arriving by Air
Frankfurt International AirportThe nearest major airport is Frankfurt International Airport, host to most major airlines and receiving direct flight from all across the world. Frankfurt International is a mere 80 km north of Heidelberg, offering an excellent connection to Heidelberg:
- Lufthansa Airport Shuttle (reservation only): The Lufthansa Shuttle stops or picks you up at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Heidelberg. Departure from Frankfurt International Airport every hour at Terminal 1 arrival area, exit B4.
Fare: € 18 one-way, € 32 return for Lufthansa passengers, all others €20 (€36).
- Railway service: Heidelberg's main station (Hauptbahnhof) is a major railroad station on most Mannheim lines. On its website Deutsche Bahn does not only offer schedules but also the opportunity to buy tickets online.
Please note: there are two railway stations at Frankfurt International Airport. The long-distance railway station is at the AIRail Terminal, right next to Terminal 1. In addition, there is a local railway station for suburban train, regional and local trains at Terminal 1, Level 1. Both railway stations are linked to Terminal 2 via buses and the Sky Line.
- Airport Shuttle Service TLS: The Shuttle Service takes you to any hotel or address you wish. Individual reservation is required before your trip. Group discounts.
- A large number of taxis are available at both terminals 24/7.
- All major car rental companies are represented at Frankfurt Airport, at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (counters before security check): Alamo, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
The low-cost carrier airport, Airport Frankfurt-Hahn, is located about 130 km from Frankfurt International, although the name might suggest otherwise. However, you will find an excellent infrastructure.
There is a bus shuttle service to Heidelberg Main Station, departing from F. Hahn Airport bus terminal no. 12. Tickets can be purchased on board, cash only (euro), no reservation necessary for individuals. The fee is 18.00 euro for a one-way ticket to or from Heidelberg, please allow 2:10 hours for the journey.
Also, most major rental car companies are represented at Frankfurt Hahn Airport. All of their offices are located in the terminal.
Stuttgart AirportAlso, Stuttgart Airport is at only 130 km southeast of Heidelberg.
- Suburban train (S-Bahn) lines S2 or S3 connect Stuttgart Airport with Stuttgart Central Station (travel time 27 minutes). Trains run every 10 or 20 minutes, depending on the time of day. From Stuttgart Central Station there is an excellent ICE and IC train connection to Heidelberg (one hour).
- The taxi-rank is conveniently located in front of Terminals 1 and 3 (departure and arrival levels).
Arriving by CarTake highway A5 (Darmstadt-Karlsruhe/Basel) and exit at intersection (Autobahnkreuz) Heidelberg or exit Heidelberg-Schwetzingen.
We recommend using public transportation when in Heidelberg as it is extremely difficult to find a place to park, and parking in Heidelberg is quite expensive.
Arriving by TrainHeidelberg's main station (Hauptbahnhof) is a major railroad station on most Mannheim lines. On its website, Deutsche Bahn does not only offer schedules but also the opportunity to buy tickets online.
Public Transportation in HeidelbergIn Heidelberg there is a very elaborate public transportation system, bus and tram tickets cost about € 2 one way and can be bought with the driver or at the ticket offices, both at Bismarckplatz Square and right outside Heidelberg main station. There will also be the opportunity for participants to buy day-tickets (about € 3) at the conference office.
Heidelberg WeatherThe climate is friendly in August: the average daytime temperature is 75-79°F (24-27°C), but sometimes reaches into the 90s°F (30s°C). However, visitors should be prepared for the possibility of light showers.
For up-to-date information on Heidelberg weather, please click here.